Other Resource Agencies

Resources Agencies, for someone you know who needs help with food, may also need help with other resources too. That is why we have provided a few resources you may want to call for help that could include with shelter, medical, clothing, support for domestic violence, where to apply for SNAP (food stamp benefits), WIC, General Assistance, and other help.

United Way

Most United Way offices can provide referral assistance to help with emergency needs. You can contact your local United Way through the national United Way website.

New Mexico Human Services Department(NMHSD)

The NM Human Services Department is another way you may want to apply for help with state programs. Visit the NM Human Services Department to access their main website to find information.

  • Income Support Division – for people who may need help with Temporary Cash Assistance (TANF), General Assistance, Low Income Energy Support (LIHEAP) and SNAP (food stamps) benefits. Offices are located throughout the state. Find the office near you by calling 1.888.473.3676 or 505.827.7250. Visit the Income Support Division website for additional information about their programs and to download applications to apply for help.
  • Medical Assistance Division – for those in our community who may need to apply for Medicaid. Visit the Medical Assistance Division website or call 888.997.2583 or 505.827.3100.
  • Bernalillo County free health care clinicsOver 30 clinics are operated across New Mexico and Bernalillo County by the Presbyterian Medical Services. The various locations assisted almost 60,000 patients in New Mexico last year. they provide free or low cost medical and dental services. When possible, the PMS facilities provide dental, medical, and behavioral health services and medical care in the same facility and the clinics create a continuum of care which spans across healthcare professionals as well as the various volunteers. The facility is a non-profit health care provider. Find other ways to get free health care. More.
  • As indicated, they run dental facilities which offer emergency, basic restorative, preventive services, and also a limited amount of rehabilitative or prosthetic dental care to low income, senior citizens, children, unemployed, and other qualified patients. Dial 505-771-0647 to make an appointment or learn more.
  • Another option for health care is First Nations Community Health Source. Dial (505) 262-2481. The non-profit clinic is a fully comprehensive community health care clinic/center that provides numerous medical services. Among other programs they offer include preventive, primary and behavioral health services to low income and the other under-served populations living in Central New Mexico, including Native Americans. Some of the Primary Care Services offered to patients include, well child care, immunizations, family planning, women’s health care, prevention education and WIC services, public health nursing, HIV testing, and counseling.
  • UNM Dental Clinics, 1801 Camino de Salud NE, Ste. 1100-1200, Albuquerque, NM 87102, (505)-925-4031 (helps low income families)
  • Other community clinics include the Albuquerque New Mexico based First Choice Community Health Care (505) 873-7400, or locate even more Bernalillo County clinics and health centers.
Food Programs
  • WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for NM Women, Infant & Children) – the program provides supplemental food to participants and education on nutrition, breastfeeding and referrals to health and social programs. WIC helps women with children up to 5 years of age. Visit the WIC website for information.
  • The Summer Food Services Program – this is federal summer food program run by the NM Children Youth and Families Department. The purpose is to help children who may not have enough food to eat during the summer. In NM, many children rely on the free/reduced breakfast and lunch program during the school year. Once school is out however, children may not have adequate nutrition over the summer months until school is back in session. To find a list of Summer Food Program sites in your community call 1.800.328.2665 or 505.841.4856 or visit www.summerfoodnm.org. In Bernalillo County you can view a list of food sites online.
  • Farmer’s Markets – Community members that receive SNAP benefits may use their EBT cards at many Farmer’s Market locations throughout the state.  Produce tends to be an item that many hungry people can’t afford to purchase, but this program allows struggling and needy people the option to use their EBT card to purchase healthy food such as fruits and vegetables.  Visit Farmers Markets  to view a list of participating locations.